Click here to see a preview of this book.
Click here to contact us, learn how to adopt the text, and get a price quote.
Electronic Communications for Professionals
First Edition now Available!
A Message from the Author
Dear Instructors and Students:
The First Edition of Electronic Communications for Professionals, formerly published under Pearson as Electronic Communication for Technicians in two different editions, is now available!
This exciting new text is distributed in electronic format (it is printable, of course). Some of the advantages of this include:
- Competitive Pricing: The electronic version costs much less per student than the paper edition, which will help defray the rising cost of textbooks.
- Technological Relevancy: Electronic publishing will enable us to update the textbook much more frequently than would be possible with a paper edition. Your students will be exposed to the latest
developments in the field, while still building a solid foundation.
- Bonuses: We will support the text with FREE laboratory experiments (downloadable from this web site), FREE communication simulation software, as well as FREE question pools (available to instructors only).
In addition, all instructors receive a FREE complimentary copy of the text, along with an electronic resource package containing complete solution sets and other useful information with each order.
So What's the Catch?
There is no "catch." Our mission is to continue delivering an effective, relevant, and comprehensive electronic communications textbook that is worthy of your adoption and continued use. (In the future, we will be adding additional titles.) It's that simple!
Dr. Tom Wheeler
About the Textbook
Electronic Communications for Professionals is a comprehensive overview of the exciting field of electronic communications. It uses minimal mathematics throughout and requires only algebra for complete understanding. Each topic is covered in a progressive manner with a multitude of examples and illustrations, drawing on the everyday experience of the student to build bridges to the new concepts. Real-life problems and case studies are presented throughout, with
applications of test equipment presented wherever possible, including troubleshooting and safety considerations.
How do I Adopt this Text?
To adopt the textbook, simply contact us for a quote and provide the following information:
- Your name and e-mail return address
- Your institution's name, your job title, telephone number, and department
- The course catalog and/or class section numbers where you anticipate using the text, and the number of students anticipated in each section
In return, we will provide you a written quotation that you may use within your organization to initiate a purchase order with us. We'll also be happy to contact you directly if
you have any questions. It's that simple! Your electronic books will be available within two weeks of your order submission. (Please note that the Third Edition is planned to be released in July 2017.)
The Philosophy behind Electronic Communications for Professionals
Electronic Communications for Professionals is designed to fill a gap in the available electronic education materials for working professionals (technicians, engineering technologists, practitioners, and others who work in the
field of electronic communications).
There's a real void in communications textbooks. Some entry-level texts, in an attempt to keep the subject matter understandable, avoid any real detailed discussion of the circuits and systems being studied.
The student is left with an empty feeling; he or she can certainly answer the questions in the book correctly, but can not apply the knowledge to real-world circuits and situations.
Other textbooks cover circuits in adequate detail, but also tend toward moderate to heavy use of mathematics in their analysis of circuits and systems. At an engineering level, this is probably an acceptable level of treatment. For most students, the purely mathematical approach fails miserably. It's not that students aren't capable of grasping the mathematical concepts (they most certainly are, if the ideas are presented properly); it's just that advanced mathematical methods are not yet in their toolkits. In reality, people don't need heavy math to understand electronic systems.
The author's opinion, based on more than 30 years of successful professional post-secondary education, is that people can learn almost anything if it is presented properly.
This textbook has many features that should make it a valuable addition to any curriculum for electronic professionals:
- The level of mathematics has been moderated so that only basic algebra skills are needed to work most of the problems in the text. (The only place where a bare minimum of trigonometry is required is Chapter 18, Fiber Optic and Laser Technology.) This has been accomplished with no sacrifice in depth.
- Each concept is first explained in plain language, and is then carefully developed step-by-step. Every attempt is made to build on the student's already broad base of everyday experience.
- Each new concept is supported by at least one example. Examples follow a progression from simple to challenging, always emphasizing fundamental ideas.
- Real-world examples and case studies are sprinkled throughout the text.
- Real circuits, systems, and their troubleshooting are emphasized throughout the text, with discussion of necessary safety procedures where needed. A systematic method of troubleshooting is emphasized.
Free Support Materials for use with Electronic Communications for Professionals
This is a complete set of laboratory experiments to accompany the text. A parts list is provided. There are enough experiments
to cover more than a semester of study, depending on how you have structured your course(s).
This contains software to support the text. The latest program versions will be posted here.